Thursday, February 14, 2013

Twelve Blue

Some of the common themes in this work that I found were: the color blue, rivers/water, flow/fluidity, winter/Christmas

I also noticed mention of retrovirus and virology. I detected themes of  Freedom vs. Constraint, Death, love and lust.

Some characters I encountered were Samantha and Lisle, a Daughter and Mother. Javier-Lisle's lover, and Javier's daughter Beth.

The first strategy I employed in my approach was to click the number links from the home page. This strategy made me feel safe and kept me linked to a "home base" 

Reading this work was like piecing together a dream, little by little images were formed in my mind while the details fell into place.

I saw "Route 9" in the town as a metaphor for navigating through Twelve Blue. The work was often self-referential while also being a beautiful poetic work.

While employing my first strategy, I found that the hyperlink "Begin" on homepage and ".1..." lead to the same page entitled "How she knew".
Navigating through this work was like putting together a puzzle out of many pieces.

"Follow me before the choices disappear" was like a secret link because it blended in with the background and I could not see it unless I passed my cursor over it to highlight it.

When I could go no further with my first strategy I came up with a second strategy, which was to click the textual links within each page to go to another page. This venture made me feel like I was on a mystical journey, slowly uncovering a mystery. After a while of clicking on the textual hyperlinks, I was led to an image. Which lead me to think, "Now what?! Onto another strategy?"

My third strategy consisted of randomly clicking the many different threads on the right bar of the page. However, the threads' positions changeed every time, making it difficult to form a pattern. 
When I encountered another textual link, I had to stop and consider whether I should go back to strategy #2 or keep on with #3.

Some themes others picked up on and shared during our class discussion included: memory, reflection esp through relationships and generations, and perception.
Some of the characters/relationships found were: Lisle, Samantha, Javier, Beth, Lee, Lisa, Mary Reily, Flossie, Ed Stanko, deaf dead boyfriend, Eleanor, Henry Stone, Dolores Peters.


Everyone encountered something different in exploring this work, which made me think that it offers endless possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment